Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Eco friendly cottage gardens, 1 by sempervirens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sempervirens

In reply to: Eco friendly cottage gardens

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Eco friendly cottage gardens
sempervirens wrote:
Illoquin and Windy,
It is very tricky to figure out what is invasive where. I no longer trust the claims of sterile plants when so many, like the barberries, have been proven wrong. There is always the possibility it is self sterile but will reproduce if the non sterile plant is available in the area. It will be interesting to watch the results of the new cross of the Shasta daisy. I hope the Extension Service does step in to help us out.
On a more positive hopeful note, Tellima grandiflora (fringe cups), a shade plant similar to heuchera, was recommended by someone on the DG Heuchera and Friends site. I tried it this spring and I loved it's delicate small flowers and lovely leaves. The quilted leaves have become more colorful (it started out with plain green maple type leaves) and the patterning more distinct in the cooler weather. I believe this is a west coast native so I hope it lasts for me on the east coast.
I picked a few leaves for package decoration and was surprised to find the leaves as soft and plush as velvet.
This photo is from the spring in the green leaf state.