Japanese Maples: J. Maples in pots? Please post pics, 1 by Ryuzu

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Ryuzu

In reply to: J. Maples in pots? Please post pics

Forum: Japanese Maples

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of J. Maples in pots? Please post pics
Ryuzu wrote:
A lot of maples is all relative, correct? :-) We are maintaining a moderate sized collection here on our propterty that will someday be the basis for what I hope will be a small maple nursery. We propagate some maples as a hobby, are doing some seed germination, and have plans for lots of other fun stuff like cuttings, budding and other hobby-oriented trials. Someday, when the plants get some size and we have far too many from propagation trials, we will probably sell some of them off. But heck, I have a day job and a limited income, so dream on and dream big is my motto!

The maples in the photo have moved some as I was able to create a staging area for many of them this year with a permanent water supply. We have only been in this old house now about a year and a half and have much prep work before the plants go in the ground. But yes, my plan is to put the best of them in the ground as their longevity is usually greatly increased there. We put about 20 in the ground this year.

Here is your spring photo! Not the best, but it is the best I could find. As to the matter of relative size of the collection the photos are really on a small number of the plants we have around--it has grown to more of an obsession than a hobby.......everyone needs a good obsession.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2006 11:17 PM