Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: We are having a freeze problem, 1 by MollyMc

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MollyMc

In reply to: We are having a freeze problem

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of We are having a freeze problem
MollyMc wrote:
I just made a rock/desert garden about 2-3 months ago. And I planted my pencil cactus out too. We have already had 32 degree weather and will get more this next week. Ahhh, I see we are in the same zone, different coast.

My cactus and succulents didn't seem concerned about any of this, but as I said, they have been tucked safely in the ground for a while now. Unfortunately, I don't even know what zones any of mine will tolerate, barely remember plant names.

I am not absolutely sure, but maybe you should leave them in their pots for now, put them up against the house away from the winds and maybe make a little tent for them on the coldest of nights. Calif. humidity is pretty low isn't it?

I'm posting a photo simply because I can't help myself. My finger hasn't been working too well on the point and shoot, but when I get a little remedial training I will do better. Here's part of my desert. They are small, but I know this is the sleep year, looking forward to the creep and leap years. I did not do anything to protect these plants in the first cold snaps.