Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: How are you using food plants in your cottage garden?, 1 by critterologist

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright critterologist

In reply to: How are you using food plants in your cottage garden?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How are you using food plants in your cottage garden?
critterologist wrote:
Suzy, most creeping thyme cultivars are propagated vegetatively, but I do have a patch of 4-6 inch tall thyme that looks/smells/tastes a lot like english thyme to me... I'm not sure what the variety is, as I grew it from trade seeds in a packet marked "Creeping Thyme." I missed harvesting seeds on them this year (they dropped when I wasn't looking), but maybe I'll get some next year... or, if we put a trade together, remind me to put a clump of it in your box.

It seems to me that I saw seeds at Pinetree..... let me check... Yes! They have T. vulgaris, which they describe as "low growing," looks similar to mine, and they also have T. serpyllum, a shorter variety. http://www.superseeds.com/products.php?cat=136

Here's my "english creeping thyme" growing around one of my big rocks by the patio... This picture was taken in spring, and you can see I interplanted the thyme with some phlox subulata... by the end of this summer, the thyme had grown and spread a lot!!