Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Companion Plants and Seed Gardens, 1 by beckygardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright beckygardener

In reply to: Companion Plants and Seed Gardens

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Companion Plants and Seed Gardens
beckygardener wrote:
Paige - So let me understand this ..... If you have sunflowers, the birds will come for the seed? And while they are in your yard looking for more food, they will eat the bugs?

I just happen to have an African Sunflower in my yard. It is actually blooming right now. The poor plant is root-bound in a pot. I got it as a cutting last Spring and it is quite large now. I love it! I haven't planted it in the yard yet because it is going in a new bed I hope to have ready in the Spring. But it is blooming, so that should mean seeds unless the birds get them first. Though probably not, because it is right next to my screened porch.

Here's a photo of it with blooms. Please ignore the dead pentas. They are not all dead, as it is coming back at the base of the plant! lol (I have a very very bad habit of overwatering some of my plants. Habit from living in Florida during the scorching summers.) Most of my plant casualities are from over-watering..... not drought! (sigh)