Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: poppy forum???, 1 by bluespiral

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bluespiral

In reply to: poppy forum???

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of poppy forum???
bluespiral wrote:
Thanks, Critter - every little tidbit helps. If my memory is cooperating, Celia Thaxter planted hers in egg cartons on the mainland where she wintered. Every spring the boat taking her to her island for the summer would be festooned with greenery waving in the breezes. I hope I'll be excused this time for posting twice, but here's that post with her journal and its artwork by Childe Hassam:

One of the most famous cottage gardens of all time was memorialized in the diary of that garden's maker as well as in the watercolors, pastels and oils of her friend, the American impressionist, Childe Hassam, who illustrated it. Both her book and many of his works are free online in digital form.

I think this makes wonderful winter reading for the dreamers and schemers among us, and after you peruse a bit, ya gotta ask yourself what would her garden have been without poppies?

Celia Thaxter's book, An Island Garden is here:

[HYPERLINK@digital.library.upenn.edu]

the best scan I can find of her in her garden by Childe Hassam with those poppies in the foreground and the Atlantic ocean in the background is here:

[HYPERLINK@upload.wikimedia.org]
(labeled in my files: HassamChilde_CeliaThaxterinherGarde n_Wikipedia_1892

More of Childe Hassam's paintings are at: [HYPERLINK@www.artcyclopedia.com]
However, I had to go to [HYPERLINK@www.google.com] to find the scan I've put here