Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Morning Glories !!!!, 1 by sempervirens

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sempervirens

In reply to: Morning Glories !!!!

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Morning Glories !!!!
sempervirens wrote:
Iloquin,
I've never tried hardwood cuttings but last spring I used the trimmings after I shaped the vine and had a high success rate just sticking them in some planters along with annuals. I used good potting soil enriched with salmon compost and didn't even use rooting hormone. Just be careful the plant you get is the native honeysuckle, the Japanese Honeysuckle is beautiful but on the invasive list in most states. The native honeysuckle, Lonicera sempervirens, is a hummingbird magnet, has lovely semi-evergreen, bluegreen leaves and over time will form a thick woody trunk. It blooms on both old and new wood so you can get a really early bloom in the spring if you prune carefully. You can plant this vine in the shade of deciduous trees, just expect only the spring bloom instead of the full season bloom. Mine are still blooming lightly now. It also forms berrylike seed pods that start out green, turn yellow, then red. The yellow cultivar in the photo is 'John Clayton'.
Wrought iron will look lovely in front of the brick.