Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Your Favorite Bark, 1 by malusman

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright malusman

In reply to: Your Favorite Bark

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Your Favorite Bark
malusman wrote:
Resin- LOL, I'm not fond of yappers either. Break down and show us some of that stuff you grow across the pond. I bought my 30cm ruler last night and will be taking photos of the P. x schwerinii cones tonight if VV doesn't pontificate too much on the phone.

Kt- Lichens qualify and those are great ones. Do you get a lot of moisture in Edgartown? I always knew that crabapples were good for something. Now we have proof!

Sally- Junipers and the Big Ditch: always a good mix. http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c16/erniew/scenics/southwe...

Sofer- Great Stewartia! I was at the Arboretum in Seattle 3.5 years ago and took some picutures of them as well. My closeups show some bright green under the brown/rust colored bark. Like you, I was a bit lax about keeping track of what I was shooting and then completely forgot by the time the drive back to IL ended.

A sentimental favorite of mine is Platanus x acerifolia 'Suttneri.' It sheds the brown bark at 3" or smaller diameter and stays a clean white. I'm not sure if it will start mottling but up to 24" is has shown no sign of it. Anybody know if it does resume the mottling or has it stayed white the entire lifespan?

Regards,
Ernie