Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Morning Glories !!!!, 1 by lincolnitess

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lincolnitess

In reply to: Morning Glories !!!!

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Morning Glories !!!!
lincolnitess wrote:
Japanese Morning Glories tend to be larger, but not always. They often have varigated foliage which is pretty even when they are not in bloom. They tend to only form seeds very late in the season, while the common morning glories form many more and for a longer time. I got very few seeds off my JMG this year because we had an early frost. Next year, I will try to start them earlier inside the house. There is lots of information and photo on the morning glory forum. Here is a photo of all the Mg's I grew last year. The very bottom one is the one that grow over my garage. It is an Ipomoea purpurea. Maybe Crimson Rambler. Ipomoea purpurea's tend to reseed easily at least around here but they are easy to pull up when small. 2 or 3 will cover a large area. Most of the rest in this photo are Japanese Morning Glories or Ipomoea nil. Some grow 6-7 inches in diameter or more. They tend to be more fragile as far as wind damage goes. The only one that is not is the white one on the far left with the wine center. It is an Ipomoea pandurata, which is like a wild sweet potato vine and is a perennial here, growing back from the large tuber like roots. If you go to the PlantFiles and type morning glory in the common name space, you will find pages of different types of morning glories. It is a very interesting group of plants.

Susan

This message was edited Nov 11, 2006 1:17 PM