Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: Frog friends, 1 by bbrookrd

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright bbrookrd

Subject: Frog friends

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Frog friends
bbrookrd wrote:
We always have these little guys in our greenhouse. I was pruning the jade and almost got him. I assume he is what most people call a peeper. Here is an interesting note on what we call them on Nantucket and the other Island and the Cape Pinkletink (1918)

pinkletink n Martha ' s Vineyard, Nantucket MA Cf pinkwink, tinky =spring peeper.1918 DN 5.16 Martha ' s Vineyard MA, Pinkletink. . . Young frog. " I could hear the pinkletinks out in the swamp. 1931- 33 LANE Worksheets Martha ' s Vineyard MA, Pinkletink. . . A peeper (frog). 1951 Hough Singing in Morning 15 Martha ' s Vineyard MA, Someone says that the frogs are going at it on Cape Cod, and that " many natives call them pinkwinks. " . . Over here on the Vineyard what we have is pinkletinks, and they are Hyla crucifer, tree toad now and forever. 1967 Borland Hill Country 107 Nantucket MA, On Nantucket the peepers are called pinkletinks, a name that sounds to me much like the sound the peepers make. 1980 NYT Article Letters Martha ' s Vineyard MA, Pinkletink—Used only on Martha ' s Vineyard. The spring-peeper or tiny tree frog.
Source: Dictionary of American Regional English, Harvard University Press
Anyway he is loud and we love having him all the time singing to us. Patti