Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Garden Photos ...., 1 by beckygardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright beckygardener

In reply to: Garden Photos ....

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Garden Photos ....
beckygardener wrote:
Maybe I won't put the cassia there. It is a damp area. Yes, there IS swamp land in Florida and the 2 vacant lots behind and to the west of me are under water part of the year whenever we get rain. I will be planting canna and scarlet hibiscus along that soggy back fence next year. That will conclude the backyard perimeter gardens when that is done. Then I start creating my garden "rooms". That's another story and plan.

I use wood for the garden edging in the backyard. I get it pre-cut at Home Depot or Lowes. My hubby screws or nails them together. And then I get the exhausting chore of filling the new gardens with newspaper, soil, and compost. Letting it sit for several months and then putting the plants in. It's an on-going project for me. Everyone else stays clear because they don't want to get asked to help. Seems I'm the only one in my family who likes to get really dirty! lol

Anyway, I started with just the front garden and over the past 2 years it has grown extensively as you can see. Maybe I'm obessive complusive or maybe I just enjoy gardening. Yet to be determined. I know one thing .... I love the creatures that live there now or come to visit every day! And the blooms just blow me away! I now understand why gardening is the #1 past time in the United States. (And probably the world!) I'm hooked.

Oh, I couldn't be into gardening without trying water gardening. I have to laugh whenever I read that Janet is going to use her pond forms for a dirt container garden. Which is actually an EXCELLENT idea! (Helps cut down on invasive plants!) But I tried water gardening this year with a friend and I am so in awe of the waterlilies. Boy! Would I love more ponds in my yard! Send any extras pre-formed ponds my way, Janet! lol

My little water garden will be put into it's own new garden in the summer. There will be two little ponds - one for tropical waterlilies and one for hardy waterlilies within a wooden edged garden like my herb garden. I'm still trying to figure out how to do that with my sloping backyard. But I just love waterlilies! The photo is of my itty bitty pre-formed pond. It's the best $30 that I have spent this year.