Photo by Melody

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: My new Adopted Gulf Fritillary Cats, 1 by UniQueTreasures

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright UniQueTreasures

In reply to: My new Adopted Gulf Fritillary Cats

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My new Adopted Gulf Fritillary Cats
UniQueTreasures wrote:
I don't know if it will follow me around the yard, or not Becky. Something else happened, or didn't happen. I don't know for sure. About 10-15 minutes after I released him, I was ready to leave for Connie's house. I let Tinkerbelle out to take care of any business she might have and as I opened the door, I watched a HUMONGOUS dragonfly exit the lantana. That sucker must have been 4 inches in length with a cigar size body. He was the biggest one I've ever seen. My new GF was no where to be seen. UGGGGGGGGGGGGHHH!!! Surely he wouldn't have eaten my new baby, after all he'd been through. Surely NOT!!! I'm praying he flew off somewhere and wasn't a snack for the big guy. Yes, that's what happened. Surely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you may be right Connie about the ancing pairs we've been seeing around your shop. I didn't even think about that, but I also noticed them when we were working on Penelope. I just figured it was the same pair, having a grand old time, dancing through the air.

Those cats I brought home tonight were pretty good size. They should be doing the "J" pretty soon. I'm glad you had that extra wire jungle gym too. I'm sure with all of the cats in there now that it will get used. I need to do some cleaning in there first thing in the morning. It was already dark by the time I got home tonight.

Speaking of which, the pitcher I transported them in was full of cats and cuttings. We'd found some pretty big cats at the last minute, so we just put them in there. I put the pitcher inside of the wire cage on the floor board of my truck. I'm driving down the road and watch in horror as the pitcher tips to the right. OH LORD! I'm doing that little jig there at 11th Street so I can't just stop. I head on over the bridge and it tips back to the left, as I turned at Kroger. I take a deep breath and slowly drive home. I park the truck and race around to the passenger side. I pick up the pitcher and there were 5-6 big cats on the floor board and crawling up to fire wall. It's dark, and I'm scrambling to get those guys to the cage. What a wild ride!!!

I am going to print that last photo of my 1st grandbutterflybaby and hang it on the wall. I think he's just beautiful! I couldn't be prouder than if I'd watched a new baby being born. It was such a great feeling turning him loose. The photo below isn't really great quality because my hands were shaking so badly from excitement. But this was his 1st photo. :-)

I didn't even realize that I forgot to bring the camera home. I'll come by tomorrow to get it when we start on the golfer.

The "new" 1988 video camera I got FREE today with my GOGWF card WORKS!!!! I told Hubby he needs to set it up at the deer blind. He liked that idea. Hey, for free?? Heck yeah!!!