Pacific Northwest Gardening: another view, 1 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: another view

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of another view
wrote:
Herpst, is it really necessary to call me out on the whole mid-life thing just because you are very obviously younger than I am??? Geez! What do you mean 'our' age? I have at least 10 years on you, which means I know more than you and don't you forget it! But I will take your little dig about 'our age' as a compliment. Maybe your brug grows slowly due to your attitude. Ever consider that?? Hmmmm??? I find that my plants grow better when I revere and defer to my elders. Just a thought.....

Moving on I did, however , reconsider going to Bamford and Bamford because of your exquisite taste in plants and gardening in general. I chose to 'forget' their little oversight that I witnessed at the Pt. Defiance Garden show whereby they planted sensitve carnivorous plants in totally unsuitable potting medium. The entire design would have been stunning... while it lived. I thought the place was very cool, in spite of the overpowering smell of fish in the air. The location is fabulous and I did pick up some good plants, although your brug was not among them. What they did have was an echium!!! Oh happy day!!! I ordered several species of seeds this year, but I wouldn't have blooms until the following year so this was a rare treat to find! No species on the tag, but the flowers will be pink, I believe. And this succulent from Heronswood. This baby will become part of my planned succulent gardens for next year. I adore succulents.

Hostajim, I too use the fibers for reinforcement and put them in the water first. I've never tried to do castings from a grout product and wondered how strong they would be. I'll just experiment a bit and see how they turn out. Meanwhile I have visited the 'cement store' down in the tideflats and come home with a 90# bag of white portland cement and a 100# bag of very fine white sand. Those are mighty big boys who work down on the flats! Glad one of them wasn't shy about hoisting these babies into the back of my beater truck. He was the huge silent type, but his curiosity got the better of him and he asked if they were for an art class. I countered with, 'No, they are for me to play with.". I love the looks I get when I say that!!