Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Some more fall color, 1 by david5311

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright david5311

In reply to: Some more fall color

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Some more fall color
david5311 wrote:
Thanks Prairie Girl. That corner is in pretty full sun but is protected on 3 sides (all but straight north) by the walls of the house and the garage so it is quite protected from wind, and gets some shade in the early morning and late afternoon from sun. Being protected on 3 sides, I noticed in last winter's mild conditions that the soil barely froze here so I am using it as a spot for a late winter vignette with the AP, blue hollies, hellebores, winter aconites, etc. The stone work on the house and the garden walls was all handdone from Michigan limestone. It goes all around the lower half of the house and out on walls in the garden too - pricey and time consuming but worth it.

Here's some more fall color from me -- my other Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'. The other plant I have colored rich wine red this year but is in full sun and started its color 2 weeks ago. This one is bigger and in high shade in the woods, and got its color much later, just the last couple of days. Even though it was multicolored red in my old garden, it is predominately orange this year. I am sure it is genetically identical to the other plant I have -- they came from the same nursery. But given the different growing conditions, the color is completely different this year.?