Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Lucky_P

In reply to: Acorns in Your Area

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Acorns in Your Area
Lucky_P wrote:
Gloria,
I grew up east of you, in the Auburn/Opelika area. Most likely, the thick-shelled hickory you've got is mockernut(C.tomentosa), though others, like nutmeg, pignut, bitternut(it's in the pecan section), white, red, and sand hickories may also be part of the mix.
I'm only aware of a single shagbark tree on the 200 acre farm I grew up on in Lee Co., and no shellbarks whatsoever.
Shellbarks tend to be lowland/creekbottom inhabitants, and while I do encounter shagbarks on the creekbanks here in KY from time to time, they tend to be more prevalent on droughtier upland, hillside sites.
Most of the shellbark clones seem to be fairly resistant to the scab fungus, but even the shagbarks, while susceptible, don't seem to be as significantly affected by it - as regards nut quality - as the pecans are.

Shellbark has limited natural distribution in AL - maps I've seen show only two isolated populations of this species in north and central AL - I've received shellbark nuts from a contact in Lawrence Co, up in the northern part of the state, so I know it grows there.
Shagbark - I don't know for sure, and I'm not sure how C.carolinae-septentrionalis(Southern shagbark hickory) fits into the classification scheme with classical C.ovata(shagbark). I've not been able, today, to find a good range distribution map for ovata or c-s.

In the photo I've attached, the nut on the left is my own KY State Fair winning shagbark hickory selection, "Sinking Fork", with the nut on the left being a nice, local shellbark selection, "Garnett".