Caudiciforms: Adenium advice, 1 by kdkral

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright kdkral

Subject: Adenium advice

Forum: Caudiciforms

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Adenium advice
kdkral wrote:
I need some adenium advice. I have four smaller grafted adeniums that grew quite well this summer. Three of them have nice compact growth (three kings, tropical sun, and unknown) and the fourth (shocking pink)is quite long. This is the one blooming in the photo. What I would like to know is it okay to prune adeniums? When is the best time? And if you prune will they flower the following year. I like the plants but prefer a more compact growth. I have another larger adenium (see next photo) which grew as much as 24 inches this past summer. If I prune this back will it grow back and will I get flowers? I also understand that I should not water them from November through April here in Phoenix. This advice seems quite universal. However I did read that this is okay for larger plants but smaller plants should get a quarter cup of water each month during dormancy. Is this true for the smaller plants? Also is it best to keep the dormant plants outside (frost free of course) or inside? Thank you for any support.