Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Advice for container perennials?, 1 by gabagoo

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright gabagoo

In reply to: Advice for container perennials?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Advice for container perennials?
gabagoo wrote:
I have lots of perennials in containers.
Due to lack of space & poor lighting, most of the ones I have can spend the winter in their containers outside.
My best growers (and survivors) are Blueberries, Day Lilies (Stella D'Oro) Lobelia, Liatris (Gay Feather), Achillea (Yarrow), Dwarf Bee Balm, Beacon Silver, Coreopsis and Black Eyed Susan.

I also have 2 large pots with herbs - some of which come back especially assorted mints and chives.

I dig up the Calla Lily and dahlias. These I sprinkle with bulb dust & store them in shopping bags in my mother's basement (she lives next door to me).

The canna & tuberose are in 12" pots. I store them in their pots in her basement as well.

The geraniums & tropical hibiscus I keep in my home. I have some grow lights set up since the indoor lighting in the winter is so poor.

During the winter months I just move all my pots (nearly 200!) around the perimeter of the yard so I can set up my bird feeders in the middle.

This pic was taken Aug 19th of this year. My yard is totally bricked, so everything is in containers.

I'm just north of NYC - so my weather isn't that much different than yours.
(assuming by your name that you're in Philadelphia) :o)

Nancy