Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Show how your garden has changed over the last few months, 1 by noknok

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright noknok

In reply to: Show how your garden has changed over the last few months

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Show how your garden has changed over the last few months
noknok wrote:
Yikes Susan, that's some free scenery! Is this typical of Lincoln Nebraska, or did you just get the right place? You're certainly adding to it. Must be "realtor's lane", cruising their clients around.

Yes, 5 years ago I panicked: "The right time to plant a tree was ten years ago", trees, everywhere!
I've since changed most of my ideas about garden layout. It's been very a very interesting aspect of "working with your past", hehe. Those are mostly White and Japanese black pines. I now have a strangely formal axis, cutting straight through a random Pine grove. I had to chew on that one a long time! But I kind of like where it's going.

Do you get your Daylilies locally or do you mail order? Most of what I see in local nurseries is pretty boring and "July-bound".

Monica, great, aren't Cosmos wonderful! I like mine, even though they turned into 7' shrubs, with a few flowers on the sides, just the "Bright lights", the others flower well. Someone suggested the soil is too rich. So what do you do? Dig a hole in the bed and fill it with gravel?

My soil is all excavation back-fill (they didn't set the top soil aside). I do all beds with newspaper and mulch, and amend the holes as I go. It gets better all the time!

Patti, I second Rannveig. That's what I meant, I'm really going to try for the EXACT same spot each time (such discipline!). Say beginning, middle and end of the month, April through November. That's 24 shots, six of your collages, the path going from clear in a sparse April to being completely obscured by mad growth. That's it, next year I'm doing it! I'm going to have fun picking the spots and setting a stone in each, maybe with an eye in it... And a landmark in the background to center the viewfinder on.

Here's a view through that rose arbour by the shed, along the straight 200' axis through the wilderness in between. I'm far from done here, and the sod took a beating, besides being full of grubs.