Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Seed Snatchin' XVIII - The Seeds Are Sproutin', 1 by Hineni

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Hineni

In reply to: Seed Snatchin' XVIII - The Seeds Are Sproutin'

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Seed Snatchin' XVIII - The Seeds Are Sproutin'
Hineni wrote:
How have I missed all of these threads...??? Being a newbie (4 months now) gardener, the hardest thing I've had to grow is patience.

Susan - I love the Lowe's sales too! DH gave me a budget and I can only spend that much each month, including soil amendments, mulch, pots, hoses, you name it, if it's gardening it counts :/ Thankfully he hasn't counted the postage I have spent on SASBE's for trading...LOL! The Lowes sales kept me from being nuts this year since I can't really seed much until WS'ing rolls around. I'll have to get your insider info on dumpster hauls - we're far enough apart I wouldn't encroach on your territory :D

Seed snatching...well being first of the month I had a new month's budget so we went to WalMart to get potting mix for WSing. Merciful heavens their plants were pricey there!! However, I did get some Gerbera daisy seeds and some purple aster seeds (I think, not sure yet haven't been over to the seed saving forum to see what they look like.) And something labeled "Europops" in a gorgeous golden yellow. I also got some 4" pans for WSing, and some popsicle sticks (far cheaper than plant markers) and clothespins. Since the seed pickins were so slim I sweet-talked DH into stopping at Lowe's for a seed snatching run. Eeep, they had plants I wanted (I think my budget is gone for the month now..sigh)

They had gorgeous Hyssop, so I got two of them (paid full price, I never do that unless the full price is under a dollar...LOL!) These are my first hyssop plants and I am in love - they smell incredible! Got one flat of pansies for the three front beds that were empty since the coleus had run it's season and some .88 snapdragons. I've never grown either of them but they are just so darn cute!
So I'll have to go find out how to get seeds from all of these so I don't use up more money on full-price plants! And also I'll have to figure out how to keep them over winter here.

I had to laugh, even DH was pointing out deadhead plants and was helping me look on the side of the road for potential places to revisit and get seedheads :)

Here's the newest "sprout" in our family - I became an Aunt Saturday for the first time!!

~Sunny