Photo by Melody

Northeast Gardening: Overwintering in New England..., 1 by plymouthgarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright plymouthgarden

Subject: Overwintering in New England...

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
plymouthgarden wrote:
Hi Everyone! I'm a totally obsessed plant person and so glad to meet other like-minded folks! We live in SE Mass, near the Cape, so it stays a bit warmer longer here - but I have a few questions about wintering over things.

Do you dig up your impatiens? I know it sounds crazy, but will they bloom in the house?

What about your Caladium? Mine are growing in the ground - wondering if I should dig 'em up and put 'em in the garage...

How about tropical ferns that I bought at Ikea....they are growing happily in the ground, but I know they won't survive our winters here.

And my 4'-5' tall elephant ear - I've tried with very limited success to bring in the tuber(?) in years past - but I never have the heart to cut down the plant before the 1st frost. They are breathtaking in the yard! Has anyone ever dug them up and continued to grow them in the house with any success?

It's been very warm here, and I just hate to bring stuff in now - everything seems to be growing so vigourously....i trimmed all the old/decaying growth off the petasites and there's a brand new flush of very happy growth underneath....the astilbe is re-growing (if that makes any sense!)...and i'm still planting evergreens that I'm finding at the local nurseries for 50% off (mostly hinoki cypress - one of my obsession plants!).

Stop me before I buy again!!! Everyday I'm plotting WHICH nursery to hit to see what they have on sale!!

Thanks - Kara