Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: Searching for info on Clematis, 1 by se_eds

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright se_eds

In reply to: Searching for info on Clematis

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Searching for info on Clematis
se_eds wrote:
I got the post hole digger out a month ago and dug out all of the clay and cement from the builders. LOL. Filled up the holes with a mix of hardwood shredded mulch and composted manure and watered well several times, to flush out remaining concrete junk.

Finally - today my clematis arrived from Silver Star Vinery.

This must be old stuff to most of you - but I am so thrilled with them. Debbie has been a good help on selecting the varieties I wanted. She suggested starting out with Duchess of Edinburgh instead of 'Artic Snow'. I wanted a good red so bought 'Voluceau" and of course I loved 'Mister President' and 'Blue Light'. She dropped me an email that she couldn't bear to cut back 'Blue Light' and it arrived with a three foot vine and flowers!

It took two days from Washington State to Millersburg, Pa. The plants were fresh as a daisy. Big gallon pot sized roots - not dirt balls - fresh green vines - not a leaf broken.

I had bought a $15.00 quart pot of Climador earlier this spring, one stalk, three roots. (But it is growing). These plants from Silver Star Vinery are hugh!

They are tenderly planted, and I had to take a picture of the blooming one, 'Blue Light'. I had seen pics of it, but there is nothing like seeing it in person.

To me - an old Pa. Dutch Lady - it is beautiful. (Remember it was in the mail for two days)

Thanks to all for your help and recommendations.
Hmmm, I think I need a few more and have a place to put them.