Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Need Info on How to Save Seeds From Beautiful New Zinnia!!!, 1 by Goulabelle

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Goulabelle

Subject: Need Info on How to Save Seeds From Beautiful New Zinnia!!!

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Need Info on How to Save Seeds From Beautiful New Zinnia!!!
Goulabelle wrote:
Hello To All,
Last year, I purchased and planted a pack of pink hybrid zinnia seeds. This year one of the seeds that had dropped came up, and it produced, I think, the most beautiful zinnias that I have ever seen. As you can see, half of the flower is cream and circled all around with pink.
I wrote to a seed company, and they told me that the seeds from this flower must be planted at least two more times to see if the zinnia was going to stay true. If so, they would be interested in it.

I have no idea how to even start preserving these seeds. I think when the flower dies, I take it, separate the seeds, and spread them out to dry.

Can I pick the flowers when they have not turned brown yet and allow them to dry out inside?
Should I make sure I gather from every flower.
What effect would a gold zinnia growing close by have on the one that I want to save?

I would hate to know that, at this time, I have a chance to preserve and save a beautiful new zinnia, and it would never come to be because of my lack of knowledge. I would really appreciate any help that I can from any of you.

Thanks,

Diane