Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Cannas: Canna altensteinii from seed., 1 by wallaby1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright wallaby1

Subject: Canna altensteinii from seed.

Forum: Cannas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Canna altensteinii from seed.
wallaby1 wrote:
This Canna was new last year from Chiltern Seeds. Out of 8 seeds I had either 2 germinate or a double, as they separated easily this Spring I suspect it was 2 that shot up in the same place. They germinated in August last year, I overwintered them inside in a window.

From still small seedlings this year, they have grown very quickly and one has flowered. One produced 2 stems, and they both recently made a new shoot each which I removed. I also split the double stemmed one. Thus I had 5 plants, one lucky person has received one new plant already.

Since splitting them less than 2 weeks ago, they are making more new shoots.

The flowers are small, as many species are, but oh so pretty!

In their native Africa, they grow along stream banks, and can grow to 15' tall. This one is not said to be terribly hardy, but with not previously being on the market, this has yet to be tested.

The tallest plant with the flower head is 73", the actual plant not including the pot. I would expect it to be taller next year, and if it could be kept in a frost free location I imagine this could easily be achieved.