Photo by Melody

Japanese Maples: Pic of my red acer and surrounding bed - what do you think?, 1 by conifers

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright conifers

In reply to: Pic of my red acer and surrounding bed - what do you think?

Forum: Japanese Maples

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Pic of my red acer and surrounding bed - what do you think?
conifers wrote:
Hi our captain,

After rethinking here's what I'm suggesting:

remove the three hostas and replace with a dwaft hemlock (which can be sheared at will) such as a beautiful and easy to find - Tsuga canadensis 'Gentsch White' (You're now getting some 'bones'/structure).

The salvia I'd go with something really neat like Pinus strobus 'Green Twist' (can be ordered at Bethlehem Nursery online but you'll need to email for a current availability; a friend of mine, Dennis Dodge)

And the same Pinus contorta 'Chief Joseph', or Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin' or something of the like. The P.mugo 'Fruhlings Gold', etc.

Your foliage color from the perennials/annuals will take up the rest of the slack.

Your Maple, well, you can prune that to keep it at about any size you wish. Pines can be 'candle pruned' in June (approximately) as their new growth/candles are soft and can be pinched back to maintain size if needed in the future.

You won't need much luck finding those conifers too. Should be somewhat easy to acquire.

Of what I'm offering up here's a photo of Pinus strobus 'Green Twist', wish I had photos of the others in my 1000+ arboreta collection, but I do not unfortunately.

Happy Gardening -

Dax