Photo by Melody

Rocky Mountain Gardening: Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies?, 1 by pajaritomt

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pajaritomt

Subject: Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies?

Forum: Rocky Mountain Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Anybody growing vegetables in the Rockies?
pajaritomt wrote:
I am passionate about growing vegetables in my yard and had a very hard time learning what would grow and what wouldn't. I love cooking with truly fresh herbs and veggies. I now am able to grow eggplant and tomatoes but so far have not succeeded with okra, though farmers in the Rio Grande Valley about 1000 ft. below us do grow it. I buy it at the farmers' market.
But I have found my area really great for lettuce, chard, spinach, kale, carrots and many other cool season crops. I do well with herbs as well.
Here is a picture of my raised bed veggie garden. I also included the pictures of all my squashes somewhere in this forum. . I get great butternut squash, zucchini and vitually any summer squash. I am trying some more exotic squashes this year from Amy Goldmans, The Complete Squash. The bushes are looking great. Here's hoping I get squashes from them.
Mind you, I haven't mowed the weeds around the raised beds so pretend they aren't there.