Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Ferns, Mushrooms, Fungi and Mosses: ferns that spread, 1 by DaleTheGardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DaleTheGardener

In reply to: ferns that spread

Forum: Ferns, Mushrooms, Fungi and Mosses

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of ferns that spread
DaleTheGardener wrote:
GG, 5th photo down from the top of this thread? That is a perennial peanut, a groundcover in warm areas, all the rage here in FL to replace sod that is not walked on alot. Takes some skill to keep it weed free as a monocrop, i.e. preemergent chemicals. Tough as nails once it gets going and can be mowed. It doesn't take heavy foot traffic very well. Low water needs once it has its roots down. Doesn't like any kind of winter, goes dormant even in the low 50's and comes back when things warm up.

I have seen it mixed with sod that gets mowed weekly and it spreads and does very well here. It is good for those who want a chemical free grass/groundcover that gets mowed. I have several plants that I am using in my front yard. The peanut, a mimosa (pink power puff flowers) and a native plant with large yellow disk flowers that the bees love. I have given up on grass to a large extent. Too many bugs in FL love to eat grass. I live in a duplex and my landlord has a 'landscape maintenance' guy who only comes by twice a month and mows the area down to 1", not many grasses will take that kind of whack job and live. So if you can't beat 'em plant something they can't kill.

This is a thyme 'lawn' in England....