Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Can potting mix be re-used?, 1 by tigerlily123

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tigerlily123

In reply to: Can potting mix be re-used?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Can potting mix be re-used?
tigerlily123 wrote:
Gosh Tobee, I just think for annuals in containers that its fine to reuse the soil. Esp for annuals that are so fast growing and need so little. I just use a slow release when I plant and it keeps releasing all summer-its a 5 month release, so I can add more when I plant the pansies. What kind of slow release do you use that it is gone in 2 weeks? Have never heard of a granular slow release to shoot its load that fast.Whats the brand name and what are the numbers?

I don't even hardly turn the soil thats in the container when I pull out the old plants, though I do try to leave the roots-but not a big issue. Then I just add the fert and plant and mulch-easy as pie. I also like the soiless mix because it drains so well, and if we get a cloudy wet week, I still like the medium to be on the dryer side-esp in containers

For my crops, when I start seeds or transplant, I always use fresh soilless mix, but again I am going for something that drains the fastest. I like to grow on the dry side.