Tropical Fruits: My Ice Cream banana tree, 1 by halo

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright halo

Subject: My Ice Cream banana tree

Forum: Tropical Fruits

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My Ice Cream banana tree
halo wrote:
A friend of mine sent me a very small ice cream banana tree. I knew nothing about them, and even less about bananas. After planting it and watching it start to grow and thrive, I started reading all I could on banana plants. Then I got on eBay, and lordy, you can get a lot of different bananas on there. So I watched my baby grow and thrive, then we got some cold weather. Several very frosty days, and it died back. And back. And back. It froze down to a mushy core, and I was sure I had lost it. I resisted the urge to go dig it up and just waited. Soon, a teeny little sprout started out the side of the mushy stump, and sure enough, it started growing. These things grow like wild....its putting up a new leaf every week. I can almost sit and watch it grow.

So Im hoping that I will get a nice bloom before the freezes come later on in the year. Getting this one banana has sparked an interest that I just cant get enough bananas now. Ive gotten several new varieties; they are still tiny in pots, but I am really enjoying them.