Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Ferns, Mushrooms, Fungi and Mosses: ferns that spread, 1 by DaleTheGardener

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DaleTheGardener

In reply to: ferns that spread

Forum: Ferns, Mushrooms, Fungi and Mosses

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of ferns that spread
DaleTheGardener wrote:
Doss,

Thanks for the tips. I have ordered from Big Dipper, but never looked at the fern section. I included a little note with my order about trying new plants from a climate that was so different. They sent a little note saying I was in 'zone denial', seemed an odd response, how about good luck or hope for the best. I am going to try their holly ferns, the usual specie comes up all over the place here, especially creek bank retaining walls.

Plant Delights sent me their catalog once, long ago. I never got around to ordering from them, too many moves. I am more settled now. Might take a chance inspite of their excessive profiting on shipping. Guess they really don't like mail order. Kind of like Annie's Annual in Richmond, shipping there is $24 for the 1st plant and all they have is 3-4" pots, starter plants.

I will have to go over Fancy Fronds a little more slowly. Sometimes when a seller says zone 10 they mean coastal CA. I live in another world, even LA doesn't have the extended heat we have.

We have most of the salaginellas available here $4-5 for a 6 inch pot. I have had mixed results. We have bugs you have never seen and they have a taste for it. It is beautiful and short lived mostly. I get tired of replacing it. They have some unusual species out at the USF Bot Garden and you can't buy them anywhere, oh well.

I have lemon button fern, the wholesalers grow it. I also have a small selection of birds nest ferns, 4 different ones and lots of 'small' ferns that I keep in pots. I was surprised as I went through the websites how many of them we have available. We have lots of the tropical madienhair ferns (my favorite is peruvianum). I have one wholesale place I go that carries 15 different kinds, all cost $1.25 each in trays of 12.

Thanks again for including me in your research.

This message was edited Jul 11, 2006 8:52 PM