Photo by Melody

European Gardening: WHAT CROPS HAVE YOU PICKED THIS WEEK?, 1 by sueone

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sueone

In reply to: WHAT CROPS HAVE YOU PICKED THIS WEEK?

Forum: European Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of WHAT CROPS HAVE YOU PICKED THIS WEEK?
sueone wrote:
I think you hit the nail on the head, it's the challenge, and not being able to grow something that makes you want it even more, who knows, if due to global warming bindweed, daisies and dandylions became rare in future years, we might be on here discussing the best way to grow and keep them!!...

I went to the the Isles of Scillies a couple of years back for a holiday, and on Bhryr there were Geranium madarense's growing everywhere in the wild, and I was so chuffed when they flowered well in my garden this summer, bought back very happy memories..
Same with Euphorbia mellifera in the Tresco gardens, the scent when you passed them was out of this world.Mine flowered too this summer, though the scent didn't seem as strong, guess we also like to grow things that maybe remind us of happier times/things.

My parents were never into gardening, until they moved to a retirement bungalow, when they had a lovely garden with roses and lavenders and pinks.all those things too I've grown probably because of the memories of sitting in their garden.
They were never into growing veg though, guess they never had the time when younger, and energy when older.In fact until my sister decided to go for an allotment share with me a couple of years ago none of my family were interested in growing veggies...and only a couple of my sisters really liked gardening..

It's quite funny to watch my sister Paddy up the allotment, she's really strugglinmg to cope with the dirt!!...LOL..she hates dirty hands/nails...has the shed immaculate...struggles to cope with crops that have pests on...bit of a learning curve for her I think..she ate her first strawberry straight from our plants last week..and I think was suitably impressed with the flavour, it's so different picked staright from the plant ,still warm from the sun, mind you, she did have to wash it first...