Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: About Earthboxes and What You're Growing, 1 by GreenThumbGreen

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright GreenThumbGreen

In reply to: About Earthboxes and What You're Growing

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of About Earthboxes and What You're Growing
GreenThumbGreen wrote:
I wish I could say that I'm having a great EarthBox experience, but the truth is, I'm not.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
I used MG potting mix, followed T's instructions on setting up, and I've kept the box watered well. It's impossible to overwater, right?
This is the best of five EarthBoxes. It has Sun Sugar and Sun Gold in it. Stupice and Druzba completely died. I have another Druzba in the ground, and it is 7 foot tall with inch thick stems and loaded with tomatoes. I took a small and frail Eva Purple Ball out of it's EarthBox and put it in the ground ,and two weeks later it is dark green and strong, and now has five small tomatoes on it.
I dropped the same MG potting mix into one gallon sized holes dug in a sandbox, and those plants are twice the size of plants grown in the Earthboxes.
I am also growing plants in five gallon buckets in the same potting mix, and they look exactly the same as the EarthBox plants.
I'm not going to give up. I'll try again next year, I'll just be more careful what I plant in them. This year I put all of the plants that I wanted to try the most in the earthboxes. I have more seeds, so next year I'll put them in the ground.
I don't know how Ya'll do it, but your EarthBoxes look great!