Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Clark Kent or Superman?? River birch roots near house, 1 by tigerlily123

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tigerlily123

Subject: Clark Kent or Superman?? River birch roots near house

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Clark Kent or Superman?? River birch roots near house
tigerlily123 wrote:
I have a rather large river birch that is planted about 8' or so near the house ( wasn't me! it was my ex-husband...the landscaper !! lol) I have had several landscapers tell me recently that the roots of this tree pose an real threat to the foundation of the house and that I should either get a stump grinder in and take out the roots between the house and the tree so it will slow the potential for damage down or just take the tree down. Thats the Superman theory.

A certain person that shall remain nameless from Illinois ( did I spell that right Lauren ?? lol) said that she thought the roots would act like the mild mannered Clark Kent and just turn away from the house and not hurt the foundation. It was her excellent idea to post this and ask everyone here-great idea nameless one!!

My only concern was if people from the north were going to be familiar with the growth habits of plants that grow in this climate-i.e. longer growing season, more aggressive growth etc. It may be an irrelevant concern.

I had just pulled out 3 large hollies between the house and the river birch, hence all the attention to the ground here. So here are the pics and you all tell me what you think..cause I can me Lex Luthor (sp-I don;t even know why I am using Superman as a comparison-obviously I am not a true fan or I would know how to spell this dude's name!! lol forgive the stupidity!) and take this tree down.