Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Wildlife Gardening: Who has Eastern or Western Bluebird trails?, 1 by Equilibrium

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Equilibrium

In reply to: Who has Eastern or Western Bluebird trails?

Forum: Wildlife Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Who has Eastern or Western Bluebird trails?
Equilibrium wrote:
That's what I read. I don't know if it is true or not but I suspect there may be more validity to his statements than not. I actively control the English House Sparrows over here but there are others who go the passive route. What ever one who provides nest boxes is comfortable with. I've got the stray and feral cats under control. Took a few years. Right now, I am still inundated with HOSPs so my nest boxes are all open and exposed to discourage the Bluebirds from nesting in them but I figure another couple years of actively addressing the issues here and I should be in a position to close them up. I think then I will monitor the nest boxes like a hawk and use a sparrow spooker once the first egg is laid.

I saw a really great next box idea in another forum using a coffee container that was posted by Magpye I think. I need to go find her thread and post a link here. Looked incredibly easy to clean and maintain. Really neat idea.

Not traditional housing but I found this birdhouse at a gift shop this weekend and it might be just right for Tree Swallows.