Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: How has a tree or trees in your life made it better?, 1 by Equilibrium

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Equilibrium

In reply to: How has a tree or trees in your life made it better?

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of How has a tree or trees in your life made it better?
Equilibrium wrote:
Anyone ever read the book "Where the Red Fern Grows"? That book embodies my childhood memories of a conifer woodland with ferns blanketing the ground. So quiet with an incredible wave of acres and acres of ferns under the pine trees. Indescribable when you go out with your dog. I own that property now and have added a few adjacent tracts so our kids go out into the very same woods and I am convinced they will have fond memories of this land to share when they grow up. I have no specific memories or heart wrenching memories such as that Penn_Pete shared but I do remember sneaking up into my brothers' tree house when we moved to Illinois and feeling jealous that I didn't have a place to go to escape such as that. I loved the perspective on the world from being about 25' of the ground looking down and I distinctly recall that one could see the movie paying at the old drive in theater on weekends which was kind of cool. I had to wait until they were gone to get up in their treehouse or I would have been booted. It had a sign that said no girls allowed. We had a pussywillow tree planted at that house and in spring I'd cut some of the branches and try to make a floral arrangement. It was beautiful and I know so because my mother told me so. I was very proud of my pussywillow centerpiece. I too planted seeds as a child. I placed them in little cups on the kitchen window sill. I don't recall anything germinating but I've made up for lost time in that department. Lemme see, one time I walked into a tree. I had been leaning against it and forgot it was there. Someone called my name and I turned around and walked smack dab into the tree and ended up getting stitches in my lip. The tree won, they usually do. I show my kids the tree that "beat" me and then they beg to see the scar by making me pull out my lip so that the faint line shows. When they were younger, they begged me to show my battle scar to their friends and they'd run off giggling about how I had walked into a tree. I love trees, I always will.

This is a really neat thread.