Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Rural Gardening: Feral chicken, 1 by Duckwing_Mtn

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Duckwing_Mtn

In reply to: Feral chicken

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Feral chicken
Duckwing_Mtn wrote:
Crestedchik is right. It is a >

BREED: American Game or basically an Old English Game which has been bred in America. Most often called American Fighting Game.

VARIETY (color): Wheaten female plumage.

Game Hens can have spurs and tall combs like a rooster. It does not have male sex feathers (hackles, saddles and tail sickles).

On very very rare occasions males can come with a "hen feathering mutation" with no male sex feathers but they still crow and act like roosters. If it is a rooster it would crow and be occasionally doing a courtship dance (dropping one wing and going in a circle) near your hens' pens and probably trying to fight your roosters through the wire for dominance of the hens. It is most likely a hen.

I know these things because I have been raising and showing Old English & American Game Bantams (miniatures) for about 20 years. I manage about 6 chicken websites and belong to numerous chicken discussion group sites. http://groups.msn.com/DuckwingMtn/

I attached a picture (not my chickens) to show you what the rooster looks like that goes with that color hen. That color rooster (Black Breasted Red) can also be bred to produce dark partridge brown (BB Red) hens. The leg color can vary on the American Games if they are not bred to the show breed standard.