Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Cookie Jar, 1 by 1gardengram

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 1gardengram

In reply to: Cookie Jar

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Cookie Jar
1gardengram wrote:
I just recently converted a 30 gal aquarium to a terrarium. I have a layer of gravel mixed with charcoal on the bottom, a layer of good potting soil and then I put sphagum moss on top of that and along the front edge of everything to keep the layers from showing. I have two African violets in there (still in their pots in case they start to fail), a pepperomia, a small maidenhair fern, two miniature ivy plants (one plain green and one variegated), a creeping jenny and a tiny air plant I just received as a gift. I kept the aquarium top on even though it has an open slot along the back edge where the filter and heater used to go, and have the light on 12 hours/day. I mist it periodically and have stuck my fingers into the dirt near the roots and everything is staying moist. I also put in a couple of the rocks I'd had in the aquarium, one big one with a lot of holes in it and one smaller in the front. I put a pedestal on one side that I bought at a thrift shop for $1.50.

My pictures are not very good, but maybe you can get an idea. This first one is my first attempt. As you can see, the AV on the pedestal was too large and too close to the lights.