Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Hydrangeas: Single-stalk Oakleaf Hydrangea, 1 by BamaBelle

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BamaBelle

In reply to: Single-stalk Oakleaf Hydrangea

Forum: Hydrangeas

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Single-stalk Oakleaf Hydrangea
BamaBelle wrote:
I have three oakleaf hydrangeas that were at the house when I bought it. I didnt even know what they were whnen I looked at the house, except that it had a dead flower head on it and I could tell from the dead flowers that it was some kind of hydrangea. We moved in early October and wre sowrapped up in getting unpacked, Ididn't pay much attention tothe yard. Well, this Spring, I went outside and found the OLs covered with red and purple leaves. Within a month or so, they had doubled or tripeld in size and were covered in new leaves. Now they are covered in buds and some are starting to bloom. I really like these guys, even though the white flower spikes aren't as exciting as the mopheads. I also love the way they put babies off at the bottom. I dopn't have much in my yard and have been able to trade some of hte babies for daylilies to go in the bed I dug (which is a little on the skimpy side while I wait for my trades!) Here is apic of my smaller OL. Not bad considering the house sat empty for a whole year before we moved in and all the plants (and the house) were in a sad state of neglect. I have my hands full...inside and out!