Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Slicing Up A Basket, 1 by heathrjoy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright heathrjoy

In reply to: Slicing Up A Basket

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Slicing Up A Basket
heathrjoy wrote:
Next add soil and insert plants thru cuts. Putting the plants in was soooo much easier than with the tape method. I think on one piece of foam I may have torn it a bit, but that's fine, I'd rather have the foam give than the plant. Since my plants were already rinsed down to the root ball I wasn't inserting huge wads of soil, but this was still a lot easier and better to work with.

Also, anyone can try whatever they'd like, but I think I like the idea of the plant's soil being wet when inserting them thru the cuts in the foam. I bundled up the roots into a ball and kept my finger w/ them to guide them thru the hole. There was no damage to any of the plants, and remember these poor pansies were already planted thru tape earlier today!

When I get them thru the foam I gently move them around a bit and fool with the foam to get everything in place. I'm guessing the right place for the foam is right where the plant and soil meet. Also, the foam needs to come back together as much as it can to keep soil from coming out of the hole. It takes about 3 seconds to do.

Here's a pic of the pansies planted.

This message was edited Apr 15, 2006 12:40 AM