Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Rural Gardening: Sebastopol Geese, 1 by Gwendalou

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gwendalou

In reply to: Sebastopol Geese

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Sebastopol Geese
Gwendalou wrote:
These are the geese I have been wanting! I was planning to get chickens, geese, and 2 runner ducks all at the same time (hoping that way they'd be friends). I decided to hold off a year as we still haven't built a chicken coop (I'd like to have that ready before the chickens come) and also I wanted to wait and see what happens with the bird flu scare.

The house came with a pond, a fenced area, and a duck house, which is way back hidden under the cedars. It's about 4 feet by 8 feet. The roof slopes. I think it's about 4 feet at its tallest point. Do you think that is big enough for 2 runner ducks and 2 sebs? I also like the pilgrim ducks, so I might get one runner and one pilgrim.

The previous owners who put the duck pond and fence in told me that the ducks (they had the short kind) never went out of the fenced area. I'll post a pic of the fence below. Do you think this would keep runners and sebs inside it? I don't want them tearing up the garden areas. I'm in the process of planting roses all along the outside of the fence, so possibly that would help keep them in. But I found it curious that the previous owners' ducks did not go outside.

Gwendalou

This message was edited Apr 13, 2006 11:00 AM