Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Greenhouse: Here are the coldframes folks, 1 by lauriwilson

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright lauriwilson

In reply to: Here are the coldframes folks

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Here are the coldframes folks
lauriwilson wrote:
Hi Sue,These have solid bottoms with drain holes in the bottoms and are currently setting on my raised vegi beds. I'll post a pic of them from the sides and get you measurements if you want. The shelves are removable so when they are starting or shorter thet get more sun and also so that when the plants get taller they can set on the bottom of the boxes. Most were started in the 6 packs or 16 oz. plastic cups with 2 holes in the botom for drainage, from the dollar store:). When the 6 packs got too big I transplanted them into the cups too.
Now the one below is just made out of bricks I had laying around I put some old shade cloth on the bottom and I put cedar shavings into the brick holes for insulation, and the plants are setting ontop of some 2x6 scraps that I also had laying around, LOL O.K. hid :). It has a slight tilt to it so the rain water won't all pool on the top. All of them face south/southwest to get the sun. I had to build this 6th one as the plants got too tall for the other boxes.
If you use glass tops remember to crack them open on sunny days, even partly sunny days as they will cook in them fast. Learned that one the hard way. Just holler with any more questions.....Lauri