Photo by Melody

Michigan Gardening: Anyone know about the behavior of Red Headed Woodpeckers?, 1 by Tree_Climber

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Tree_Climber

Subject: Anyone know about the behavior of Red Headed Woodpeckers?

Forum: Michigan Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Anyone know about the behavior of Red Headed Woodpeckers?
Tree_Climber wrote:
Hi everyone,

Anyone understand the behavior of Woodpeckers?

We have a very tall house ... walk-out basement, 2 living area floors, and then a very high attic area that could be turned into another floor. Point being ... I can't see up there, and I'm not going to be climbing up there. LOL

The past 2 days, I have been hearing this, tat tat tat tat tat, outside my bedroom window. The exact area it comes from changes, but usually in two different spots. I can't see exactly where it is coming from, but I did see a Red Headed Woodpecker fly off from the general area once, and the sound stopped. I'm sure he/she's the culprit. Probably a he, as it sure was pretty. ;)

Our house has vinyl siding and gutters, and regular roofing shingles (what ever those are made of). No trees right near the house either.

Any ideas on what is attracting this bird, and what he is trying to do/get?

Wondering if I should hang something that will flap in the wind out the windows to keep him away. Maybe this is a seasonal thing?

We do have lots of Woodpeckers here, but I've never had one attack the house before.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Photo below shows our house, and the bird is "attacking" the right hand /south corner of the upstairs.