Wildlife: Help With Expecting Mom, 1 by DreamOfSpring

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DreamOfSpring

In reply to: Help With Expecting Mom

Forum: Wildlife

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Help With Expecting Mom
DreamOfSpring wrote:
Ok, now about that pesky racoon...help me out here. Below is a (out of focus) view of the nest from the patio side. I don't think that fella wants to do battle with those roses (Freddy Kruger), but I'm a bit concerned about this side and the side against the arbor as seen in the "egg" photos above. On the arbor side the nest is very, very close - like 0" away. On this side it's a bit farther away but the gap between those branches is several inches.

I could take a few large rose cuttings and attach them to those sides to increase the protection. (With over 200 roses, that's no problem.lol) I'm thinking that Alba Meidiland would be excellent here. It grows like crazy and I need to do some serious pruning anyhow. Being a groundcover or landscape variety the branches are super small and close together and covered with thorns. It's like velcro with thorns. (It reached out and grabbed one of the guys who was doing work on the house last year and you should have heard that grown man screaming - and the other guys laughing at him. It was all wrapped around his legs. I had to go over and free him - and I had to "talk him down off the ledge" to get him to be still and let me pull the branches off. But that's another story...)

So, it might not be a 100% guarantee, but I sure think it would help to discourage that 'coon. And I think it would help her to feel more hidden and shielded from me and the puppy. Do you think it would scare her away if I did that while she was off the nest?