Photo by Melody

Northeast Gardening: RI and New England Flower Show Reviews and Photos, 1 by JBenbow

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright JBenbow

In reply to: RI and New England Flower Show Reviews and Photos

Forum: Northeast Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of RI and New England Flower Show Reviews and Photos
JBenbow wrote:
Yes, we went to the show for the first time this year. We moved from Pennsylvania about 7 years ago and always enjoyed (and been spoiled by) the Philly Flower Show so we haven't ventured until this year. We originally were thinking about the CT show but were steered toward the NE show because it was a "much bigger" show. We were not disappointed! We were there on the first full day of the show, Saturday, and it was well attended. The theme was "Coming Home to NE" and the exhibits were all about a garden that one would grow locally. There were some very large and nice exhibits, as Sue has mentioned, and several of them had live bird "centerpieces". There was a pair each of large geese, peacocks and cranes that were a stunning addition and real crowd pleasers. The vendor area was very large and had a real variety....a shameless plug for these really interesting and cool takes on Adirondack furniture...Archie's Island. Very different, colorful and surprisingly comfortable.
I was really impressed with the "diversity" of specimens on display and there were a lot of eastern (Chinese and Japanese) cultivars that will certainly grow in our NE climate. I got quite a few good ideas for additions to the beds that I am developing and it was also helpful that I had the newest catalog from Forest Farm with me to take notes in and dog-ear. I will not go to a show again without a resource such as this because I can't remember that much detail anymore. I realize this is a "rookie" thing, but I am building on my love for gardening every year.
One of the best exhibits we liked was from the Miskovsky group that had both the geese and the peacocks, but I was most "entertained" by visitors happening upon a set of three Carol Mackies in full bloom. They would walk by, get a hit of the fragrance and start looking all over to identify the source and then find the id tag. Unfortunately, the tag was placed before one got to them in the flow of traffic so many were confused. I helped a few out with the id and gave them some information on growing these beauties....we have a 5 year specimen that is doing quite well...though a yard service we hired to do a few things for us last year trimmed it (=:-0). I hope it will survive and find a means to bloom. We have also introduced a Somerset and are looking to add one more this year.
Mahoney's did have a large collection of exhibits that were a joy to peruse and there were several other exhibitors (Journey's end) that focused on derr resistant plants. Always a plus to get new ideas for that "perennial" problem.
All in all, we were very pleased and will likely go again. The Newport, RI show was advertising as well, and of course, going to see a flower show at Rosecliff would be a treat in and of itself. But I do think that we will make a reservation to return to Philadelphia, granted, we will likely need to go on more than one day because it is just too large to take it all in one visit.
I included one picture but I am not the photograper of the family. If I can get more posted. I'll let you know where to find them. Happy gardening and I can't wait for Spring to arrive in temperature!

John