Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Rural Gardening: Chickens??, 1 by Melissa_Ohio

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Melissa_Ohio

In reply to: Chickens??

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Chickens??
Melissa_Ohio wrote:
Whew, thanks Shoe. Yep, I'd say there are 5 of us here who have it. I just never expected hubby to be so excited about them. :-)

What we're doing for ventilation is this, tell me if you think this is a good idea, because it's not finished yet, and can be easily changed.

We're putting them inside the barn, in what was a Foaling Stall. On the side where the nest boxes will go, (North) we are leaving that side above the nest boxes "open" to the rest of the barn for cross ventilation. Well, not completely open, we're putting chicken wire from the top of the nest boxes to the rafter of the coop. This will be directly across from the windows, (south side) thinking for cross ventilation. It will probably be a space of about 2 or 3 feet above the nest boxes. That area will be open to the rest of the barn, but not directly to the outside. Above the coop is a hay mow, we are closing the ceiling off to keep critters out we don't want in the coop area. The "front" (West facing) area where the door is, the door is a half door, the top we are framing in and covering with chicken wire. The remainder of that wall will be completely closed off. There is a 10X12 area on that west side, before you get to the coop that is for feed storage and access to the hay mow, that has a window, and a door that opens to the outside. Their chicken door will be across-- kitty corner (east facing) from the gate we use to get in and out.

We knew we'd have to keep them separate until they were bigger... but wasn't sure if they'd all get along together once they were "one flock"

Thanks Shoe. I just need a direct "shoeline" for all these questions I've had for you lately! :-) A phone shaped like a foot maybe? :-)

Here is a quick sketch

Melissa