Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Weather: Ancient spring tradition - Martisor, 1 by adinamiti

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright adinamiti

In reply to: Ancient spring tradition - Martisor

Forum: Weather

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Ancient spring tradition - Martisor
adinamiti wrote:
Of course, Connie ! I'll be glad to ! Yes, we are celebrating this spring tradition every year.
It represents a symbol of love and spring : the boys give one “martisor” to the girl they love. The Martisor is usually a little toy representing a flower, an animal, a thing or a human figure, like : snow-drops, doggies, cats, butterflies, a horseshoe or a chimney sweeper, for luck. Usually, they are art crafts and everyone makes it by their own imagination.

I like the crafts best, but there are also industrial made 'martisoare', by plastic or iron.

When we were children, not only the boys gave to the girls 'martisor', but also the girls gave each other . We all were spending a lot of time arranging each 'martisor' on a little sheet of paper cut like a big fat number 1, because they weren’t so nice arranged as they are today. We used to write a beautiful thought , like : "Lots of luck and joy !" and draw a snow-drop on the sheet of paper. The 'martisor' has to be fixed with a needle on the coat, right on the heart. In school, we used to fix all the 'martisoare' we've been receiving on our uniform. Also, we fix one on the coat.

Here is a picture with my "martisoare".