Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Container Tomato Garden Pictures, 1 by NatureWalker

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright NatureWalker

In reply to: Container Tomato Garden Pictures

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Container Tomato Garden Pictures
NatureWalker wrote:
I sow a lot of seeds out in the fall, the ones that I know come back seasonally every year. Then I winter sow seeds outside throughout the coldest weather for seeds that need stratification. Usually I've done that directly on the ground... However this year, I'm trying it via the wintersown.org way; in containers & baggies. I've noticed in the past that some seeds just "disappeared", (yeah right) the hungry little critters took 'em! Especially those black crows!

I sow other seeds inside after tax day; it makes for a great calming affect. Usually peppers, tomatoes, eggplants, okra (been doing 'longhorn' these days,) all squash - pumpkins included. But I did do a couple of experiments with trying to winter sow some of those too. I want to see the growth & germination rate on them first before I totally commit myself to doing all my seeds that way.

I've already started onion seeds inside, as they need to be put outside by April 5th - 12th for growing outside up north here. Sage, Rosemary, Parsely, Thyme, Dill, Yarrow, were sown outside too. I would definetly say that most plants would be safe to place outside after June 1st; as we had an unexpected killer frost last year on May 30th & 31st.

~* Robin