Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Vines and Climbers: Wisteria strikes again...., 1 by desert_witch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright desert_witch

In reply to: Wisteria strikes again....

Forum: Vines and Climbers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Wisteria strikes again....
desert_witch wrote:
Sadly....like that old joke that goes, "What's worse than a hopeless romantic? A HopeFUL romantic". It's true. My name is Terese, and *gulp* I'm a HOPE-fiend. I look across my front yard that the TFH (Tenant From Hell) cleared 4 or so years ago, and I see the terraced rock gardens, the cactus mounds and gulleys, a couple of shade trees, a tiny patch of grass, the wisteria 20' tall and in flower, star jasmine climbing up the trellises near the porch....I do! I see it all, if only in my mind. And I dig and dig, and my partner digs and shovels, and we haul manure and rocks, and she grumbles, and I ache...But....I hope....someday...*sigh*

And as for birds!!! We rescue birds. We have 9. Their cage bottoms consisting of newspaper, poop, bits of chewed wood and cardboard, birdy bread, veggies, fruits and pellets...all go into the compost pile. I don't keep up with it like I should. I mostly just run it over with the mower/mulcher to make it smaller, then shovel horse poo on top so the wind doesn't blow it away. I toss weeds and whatever I pull from the garden beds on the pile and water it once in a while, and just let nature take it's course. I figure it'll be compost eventually.....

Kenton, your method is very similar to mine, except I don't use so much raw (hot) compost. We get composted manure by the truckload from a nearby ranch. I am going to make a smallish coldframe on a PVC and 1"X2" frame covered with builder's plastic above last season's broccoli bed. It will be much simpler and easier on the back to use the old bed...shovel it out for 2' and fill all but the top 6" with HOT poo, then cover with soil and hopefully I'll be able to get some seeds going a lil early.....I cleared a bit of space in a small window ledge in the kitchen today, enough for a 72 pellet tray...
Still, hopin'!
Terese
Here's remembering last harvest...