Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Lilies: Biotechnoloy and Lily propogation, 1 by DarwinESF

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DarwinESF

Subject: Biotechnoloy and Lily propogation

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Biotechnoloy and Lily propogation
DarwinESF wrote:
I recently received seeds of Gray's Lily (http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=LIGR2) from a DGer and am very excited to try my luck. It seems that they are hypogeal so I know I'm in for the long haul.. however on looking for any references for Lilium grayi and germination across the web I found this article. It's really really not a fun read, however, there are one or two points that are probably things that might peak your attention. In particular, the research into germination.

Might be a good idea to open another window and have the Garden Terms tab open.. http://herkules.oulu.fi/isbn9514276590/isbn9514276590.pdf

The researchers did two types of experiments that yeilded positive results that I would say I might potentially be able to use, and possibly might be able to be applied by anyone (I can't tell yet how technical this would be).. or it might be that application isn't worth the trouble. First, germination was clearly accelerated with both removal of the seed coat and in embryos that were dissected out of the rest of the seed (endosperm). The second showed differing results in three plant hormones, Gibberellic Acid had no effect, something called ABA had an inhibitory effect but the 'antagonist' chemical to ABA called fluridon was added germination was significantly higher and reached 100% in 2 weeks... As long as this is actually the case (ie, the researchers did a good job) that statement sounds pretty powerful.

Has anyone tried this kind of thing? Does anyone want to? I have to make sure this fluridon isn't some kind of controlled substance but I may look into trying it out on some seeds..( as well as trying to cut away some of the endosperm) though so far it seems to be insanely expensive. If you have any interest in hybridizing or are just impatient like me though it sounds like it might be worth it.