Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Plants to help keep snakes away, 1 by Gitagal

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Plants to help keep snakes away

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Plants to help keep snakes away
Gitagal wrote:
I have lived in my home for 36 years! I spend almost every day during spring and summer in my Garden and I have NEVER seen a snake...........until.............last June.

I came out and saw this black thing in my grass by my flower bed. I thought it may be a branch off my tree. Yhen, i realized it was a long, black snake. It freaked me out too, but i ran inside and got my camera and spent the next hour tracking it. It took it's sweet time crawling along the house-foundation in the back of my flower bed, disappeating now and then. I waited, and he/she started up again.

Eventually, it climbed into my old Juniper bush in front of my house. I was between the house and the bush trying to see it when, all of a sudden, i saw TWO heads!!! I stayed with them for a long time, but could not see them too well. I could see that they were coiled around each other (those hussies!) . Eventually, they both came down from the bush, still all entwined, and proceded towards the concrete base of my front steps.

Now I was really curious! Then, just like it was no big deal, they both slithered under my porch base into a hole where the concrete had cracked and the porch had settled. I took sequence pictures--yes I did! These guys were easily 5 feet long!

I have never seen them since, nor ever before June, but I know they come and go. The path is well worn.

I was all "rattled" for a while as to what to do, but I decided that I will let them be and thank them for lkeeping my premises free of mice, and chipmunks. They are a part of nature. I just don;t want to reach in somewherer to pull a weed and grab a snake! That will give me a heart attack! Gita

Here's a picture of it all streatched out.