Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Lilies: Calla lilies (Zantedeschia), 1 by wallaby1

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright wallaby1

In reply to: Calla lilies (Zantedeschia)

Forum: Lilies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Calla lilies (Zantedeschia)
wallaby1 wrote:
Shirley I love all of those! Very nice shapes as well.

I have grown calla lilys for a few years, I have Z. albomaculata, Cameo, which does go a deep apricot flushed red colour but didn't flower last year, Mr Martin, bought a Schwarzwalder for a fortune, but it was like dry cork and no good! Had Rhemanni a few years ago but it rotted, not so hardy as the others.

This year I have bought Gem Lavender, Crystal Blush, Black Forest. We don't get many here but it seems to be picking up a bit. Also bought some seed of Z. jucunda. I have Z. x aethiopica Pink Mist which did very well and is more reliable, got some seed and have 4 germinated from a 1st lot I sowed.

I use my trusty mix of Moss peat compost, leafy compost and gritty river soil/leaves. I overwinter them in a cold greenhouse, they are quite deep in their pots, a good 4", they have seated themselves lower when renewing

I bought one a couple of years ago already growing and reduced, it flowered last year again after recovering and a pot on, I think I found the name but not sure if it is Majestic Red, perhaps someone will recognise it. it grew very strong and had 3 flowers.